News and briefs in the Murrysville area for the week of July 20, 2021
Calendar, conservation kits will benefit Rotary
As part of its role in Rotary International’s “End Plastic Soup” campaign — which is aimed at preventing plastics from entering local, state and national waterways where it ultimately ends up in the ocean — the Murrysville-Export Rotary Club will sell calendars featuring artwork created by local students as well as kits aimed at reducing single-use plastic.
The calendars are $10. The $15 kits come equipped with a reusable shopping bag, water bottle, straw and cutlery. Both are available at Completely Booked in the Blue Spruce Shoppes on Route 22, and at the Rotary booth at the weekly Murrysville Farmers Market, which runs from 3-7 p.m. on Thursdays at 3235 Sardis Road.
Veteran-appreciation drive-thru planned
State Rep. Bob Brooks, R-Murrysville, invites veteran residents of the 54th District to an Aug. 6 Veterans Appreciation Drive-Thru at Pittsburgh Barbecue, 6625 William Penn Highway in Salem.
It will take place from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. A box lunch will be distributed to veterans and a guest.
Those participating must RSVP by Aug. 2 to 724-387-1281 or 724-335-2790.
The 54th District includes Fawn, West Deer and part of Harrison in Allegheny County, and Export, Lower Burrell, Murrysville, Allegheny, Upper Burrell and part of Penn Township in Westmoreland County. For a map, see RepBrooks.com.
‘Whiskers and Wine’ open house set
The Murrysville chapter of the Women’s Business Network will host a Sept. 21 “Whiskers and Wine” open house at Ives Eyecare Center on Old William Penn Highway.
It will be at 6:30 p.m. Attendees can meet fellow business women in the area for appetizers and wine. Animals available for adoption through local rescue organizations will also be on hand.
Ives Eyecare Center is at 4465 Old William Penn Highway in Murrysville.
District mails 2021-‘22 parking pass applications
The Franklin Regional School District has mailed parking pass applications to incoming seniors. Completed applications must be returned to the senior high school office by Aug. 13 in the lobby drop box.
Details about picking up passes will be announced at a later date.
For more, call 724-327-5456, ext. 5003 or 5004.
‘Tuesdays at Townsend’ concert series continues
The Murrysville Recreation Department’s “Tuesdays at Townsend” free outdoor concert series will continue with a performance by Miss Freddye from 6:30-8 p.m. Aug. 3 at the park, 130 Townsend Park Court in Murrysville.
Food will be available from the Mobile Chef, and beverages from Sobel’s Obscure Brewery.
The Luke Weltz Band will perform as part of the series on Aug. 17.
For more, see MurrysvillePArecreation.com.
Upcoming Rotary events
• The Murrysville-Export Rotary Club’s Membership Committee will host an Aug. 26 trivia night at the Penn Murry, 5089 Cozy Inn Cutoff in Murrysville.
It will be at 7 p.m., with Rotarian Luke Stephens serving as the emcee. For more, call Jim Olszewski at 724-519-7369.
• The Rotary will also host a Labor Day Car Cruise-In, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Sept. 6 at the Lamplighter, 6566 William Penn Highway in Salem.
The first 100 entries will receive a dash plaque with their $10 entry donation. The afternoon will also include food, refreshments, door prizes, auction baskets, a 50/50 raffle and a DJ.
For more, call 412-677-8280.
The following public meetings will take place in the Star’s coverage area:
• Franklin Regional school board committee-of-the-whole (no voting), 7:30 p.m. Aug. 2 at the Murrysville municipal building, 4100 Sardis Road. Meetings are broadcast live on Comcast local access Channel 19 and at Murrysville.com.
• Export council, 6:30 p.m., Aug. 3 at the borough building, 5821 Washington Ave.
• Murrysville council, 7 p.m., Aug. 4 and 18 at the municipal building, 4100 Sardis Road. Meetings are broadcast live on Comcast local access Channel 19, and streamed at Murrysville.com.
• Delmont council, 7 p.m., Aug. 10 at the borough building, 77 Greensburg St.
• Franklin Regional school board voting meeting, 7:30 p.m. Aug. 16 at the Murrysville municipal building, 4100 Sardis Road. Meetings are broadcast live on Comcast local access Channel 19 and at Murrysville.com.